[Zope] No stack trace returned on XMLRPC call

Dieter Maurer dieter@handshake.de
Thu, 29 Aug 2002 19:14:44 +0200

Jay, Dylan writes:
 > This post wasn't really about that however, I was more asking if anyone knew
 > why no strack trace was being returned for the XMLRPC call, when under
 > normal circumstances it is? Should I raise a bug for this?
In Zope before 2.6, stack traces are badly integrated -- outside
of the HTML tag. Many people complain that they are shown
at all (because of security/privacy concerns).

It is quite natural that in the normal case (unless you are debugging),
XML-RPC responses should not contain track traces as the XML-RPC client
can not do much with them.

I think, with Zope 2.6, you can much better control what happens
with exceptions and the associated stack traces, at least for
normal HTTP requests (not sure about XML-RPC, but hopefully there, too).
You should be able to log the stack traces on the server and
analyse them in the servers log file.

Dieter