[Zope] Something like ezPublish in Zope....

Ausum Studio ausum_studio@hotmail.com
Fri, 30 Aug 2002 13:07:08 -0500

From: "Jorge O. Martinez" <jmartinez@emediamillworks.com>

> Hi:
>
> I don't know of a demo open for the public, but I have installed it in my
dev
> machine at home (where I also have Zope, CMF, PostNuke, etc.), and it does
have
> separation of content/presentation/logic, so you can change the look
radically
> from the 'standard' look it comes. I also like you can have as many
> categories/subcategories, you can place an article in more than one
category,
> there's a way for internationalization, and there are other modules that
can be
>   easily added. Also the admin screen is very easy to use, and can be
easily
> taught to a total newbie. Not that all of the above cannot be done in
Zope, I
> am just saying that comes out of the box with ezPublish...

I've looked at the screenshots and certainly I'm impressed by them. Not that
much as I keep needing a working demo in order to try it out, though  :)

> ezPublish is not PHPNuke or PostNuke (both considered by many excellent
> software, I reserve my opinion either way ;-), ezPublish offers much more
> flexibility and chance for customization than these.

 For people following this thread and who haven't seen PostNuke, as it was
mentioned here, you may create a an admin account here, and then judge for
yourselves:
http://postnuke.bloodymongrel.com/demo/

> I was thinking the best of both worlds would be if the ezPublish
developers
> decided to port it to Zope...;-)

I think it's more likely that Zope includes or recreate ezPublish's features
that other developers port its software to another platform. Anyway I think
it is a nice challenge to review and mentally improve what you see from
other suites, and then create your own version for Zope. Would you accept
it? :)

Ausum

> Regards,
>
> Jorge M.
>

> Ausum Studio wrote:
> > Is there a working demo you know about?
> >
> > I remember to have arrived to ezPublish's site, and also to have left it
in
> > a heartbeat, just after reading "PHP" and relating it to Post/PHP Nuke.
Of
> > these last, I had the chance to test drive PostNuke at its online demo,
and
> > I came up to the conclusion that although it is a little more featured
> > out-of-the-box than CMF+Plone+ZZen, what was implemented was not the way
I'd
> > like a community site to be, and so I decided not to try it. (PostNuke
is
> > supossed to be more featured than PHPNuke.)
> >
> > The problem with OOTB suites is that it causes all the web sites to look
the
> > same, and therefore clients concerned about this urging us developers to
be
> > more creative and even more intuitive when creating a site's experience.
> > Nonetheless, as they are a great marketing for the platform behind them,
it
> > would be good to know what EzPublish can do so that we could surpass its
> > features in a future skin release.
> >

> > Ausum

Zope.