[Zope] Making a Z Class and a Z Catalog get along - PropertyManager?

Dieter Maurer dieter@handshake.de
Tue, 3 Dec 2002 21:29:42 +0100

Edward Pollard writes:
 > Now, I've seen it mentioned in passing that the PropertyManager is not
 > catalog aware, and as such I'm not so surprised to learn that the
 > objects I create do not have their changes to their properies reflected
 > in the Catalog.
"Catalog Awareness" helps you only to handle creation and
deletion and never modification.

There are incredibly many ways to change an object such that
a standard class is unable to handle them all.

 > How do I make PropertyManager catalog aware, and only aware for this
 > specific ZClass?
You do not.

Instead provide your own methods to change the properties.
They probably will call "manage_changeProperties" (either
the one of the PropertyManager or (more likely) from a
PropertySheet) and finally call the method "index_object".

 > As a more general question: Can anyone direct me to some Zope resources
 > suitable for intermediate questions such as this?
This list is not bad.

Usually, we appreciate when you have already looked at the mailing list
archives (searchable via Google) as it is somewhat uninteresting
to always answer the same questions ;-)

 > I have the Zope Book
 > in front of me, but that only covers the basics
You may also look at

  <http://www.dieter.handshake.de/pyprojects/zope/book/chap3.html>

Of course, it, too, does not answer all questions (just a few ones).

 , and I can't find much
There are numerous other resources, e.g. "www.zopelabs.com".

 > Anything else out there so I don't have to wander around asking silly
 > questions?
It was not that silly...

Come back with other similar questions when a search in the mailing
list archives did not provide an answer.

Dieter