[Zope] categories

Ausum Studio ausum_studio@hotmail.com
Thu, 5 Dec 2002 16:23:15 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "Alain Motasim" <almotasim@noos.fr>
(...)

> I was wondering if the concept of Category existed in Zope. In
> particular: is it possible to classify an object in several categories?

Yes you can. If you just use Zope, you can add to your object as many
properties as you want, corresponding to each category you want to describe.
Nonetheless it's likely you need to create your own Zope product or ZClass,
so that you can assign it a dedicated user interface, and allow it to get
catalogued.

That's the sort of things the Content Management Framework is aimed to deal
with. Inside a CMF instance, you create content and then add its metadata.
One of the metadata fields is called 'Subject', and you can write out there
as many names (categories) as you want.  Then, the handling and finding of
the objects categorized that way, is performed by the portal catalog.

Ausum