[Zope] Storing many large objects in many folders

Paul Winkler pw_lists@slinkp.com
Mon, 9 Dec 2002 11:00:19 -0800

On Mon, Dec 09, 2002 at 03:58:28PM +0100, Christoph Schmitz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I need to store many large objects (30+MB video files) in a way that
> Zope can serve them; plus, these files should be distributed over a
> large folder tree /mytree/... in my Zope system.
>
> We've considered the following options:
>
> - use LocalFS; the problem is that I'd like to avoid having a LocalFS
> object in every folder of /mytree/..., and I neither want to put all
> the files into one filesystem directory;

Not necessary. If /mytree/ *is* a LocalFS,  and it's
pointed to e.g. $INSTANCE_HOME/mytree/ on the filesystem,
then any subdirectories of $INSTANCE_HOME/mytree will map
to folderish objects in /mytree.

LocalFS does have some annoying limitations, though...
e.g. objects in LocalFS cannot store properties. No title,
nothing.  The current UI makes you think that you can
add properties, but you'll quickly discover that they
are just discarded.

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com