[Zope] Best practices to write business apps?

Dylan Reinhardt zope@dylanreinhardt.com
Mon, 09 Dec 2002 15:56:46 -0800

I've written several business apps in Zope and would suggest one best
practice right off the bat: acquire more experience with your tools.

Not to be discouraging, but you'll need more than passing familiarity with
your development environment before you take on programming any reasonably
important business system.  Yes, payroll software can be done in
Zope.  Yes, it's even a good idea.  But I would encourage you not to make a
payroll system your first major project... in *any* language or
environment.  Particularly not if you're operating under any kind of
deadline or expectation of useful results.

As for frameworks, Zope *is* a framework and a very powerful one at
that.  Virtually anything Zope doesn't already do can be done with Python
products.

Read a good book on programming with Python (O'Reilly's Learning Python 2nd
Ed. is my recommendation).  Then read the Zope Developer's Guide
(http://www.zope.org/Documentation/ZDG) at least three times.   Develop a
product that exposes a basic interface and can return functional
administration screens using either ZPT or DTML.  Give yourself at least a
month or two to do all this.

At the point where you're weighing issues more technically nuanced than
whether DTML is evil (it isn't), I think you'll probably find a lot of help
available for any ambitious projects you may be ready to take on.

HTH,

Dylan