[Zope] How can I "export" objects without user interference

Felix Ulrich-Oltean felix@chaptereight.com
Wed, 11 Dec 2002 14:25:41 +0000

On Wed, Dec 11, 2002 at 03:04:18PM +0100, Thomas Runge wrote:
> But to do this, I have to log in (of course I have to supply user-name and
> password) before selecting my object to backup and selecting "Export". So I
> will have to do every "backup" manually...
>
> Is there any way to "script" this, so a backup can be done automatically?

If you google for "zope backup howto" you'd find this:

http://www.zope.org/Members/dlutzy/Zope_backup_meta-howto

which is a list of backup-related links.

If you have access to the server on which Zope is running, you would
probably be better off just backing up your ZOPE_DIR/var/Data.fs file,
which works really easily as all changes are appended at the end so
you can just copy/scp/rsync it even while Zope is running.

As for scripting it - use cron or windows task scheduler and write a
script that copies the file.

If you don't have access to the server, and you really need to use the
export function, you should be able to pass the user/pass with a
command-line HTTP client like wget, so you can still do it from a
script, e.g.:
$ wget --http-user="donald" --http-password="duck"
http://myserver.com:8080/manage_exportObject?id=some_folder&download:int=1

Sorry, I don't know the windows equivalent.

Hope that helps,

Felix.