[Zope] Time zones (another try)

ken ken@cleveland.lug.net
Wed, 11 Dec 2002 19:54:45 -0500 (EST)

I don't know what OS you're using, but there's probably three things
going on here.  On typical UNIX systems-- and this includes Linux--
there's (1) a hardware clock, (2) a system clock, and then (3) whatever
time the database may think it is-- (3) should be the same as (2).

The default install on UNIX systems I know about set the hardware clock
to GMT (changed by an international standards group to "UTC").  Part of
the system  configuration is setting the timezone.  Different Unices do
this configuration differently.  MS OSs again different.

I'd recommend setting the hardware clock to UTC, then set the correct
timezone so that system time tells the correct local time.  Then see
what time the database thinks it is.  Doing the quick fix you're
contemplating below will come back to bite you.  E.g., what are you
going to do in the DST flips?  No one wants the wrong time attached to
their data, but, at the same time, I'm sure you don't want to sit there
at 2am twice a year to change the time.  I've been using Linux for ten
years and for ten years it's handled the switch to/from DST perfectly.
This is really the way you want to go.

While you're there, look into rdate.  This won't get you out of the
UTC/localtime configuration; rdate fetches the correct time from time a
server (my systems do this once a day) and so keeps the time on your
system accurate.

All of this really should be required for an enterprise system.

hth,
ken