[Zope] Query

Paul Winkler pw_lists@slinkp.com
Wed, 11 Dec 2002 18:35:59 -0800

On Wed, Dec 11, 2002 at 06:16:23PM -0800, Dean Matsueda wrote:
> * what kind of web applications are you building and using with Zope?

Right now I'm up to my eyeballs in a kind of thorny content
management system which is served at many virtual hosts with
a different "skin" for each host. This is based on CMFDefault but
keeps diverging further from it.

> * which web server are you deploying Zope on?

Errr, zope *is* a web server (among other things).
But it's most often deployed behind a proxy. We use Apache for that.
We run several zope instances and ZEO, all on linux
boxes.

> * how active is the Zope user community?

Very. Several dozen messages on this list per day, several
active community-driven sites (www.zopezen.org, www.zopelabs.com,
and of course the member stuff on www.zope.org, etc ...),
and a pretty helpful and interesting IRC channel
(#zope on irc.openprojects.net).  THat's not to mention
the communities around more specific topics: the zope-cmf
list, the #plone channel...

> * how easy [or not] is it to build custom apps or extend the use of Zope
> with Python?

Both. :)  Adding a Script (Python) or an External Method
is trivial, and you can get a lot of mileage out of that.
But if you need new classes, it's time for a python-based Zope
Product, which raises the bar quite a bit, but it's very rewarding.
The mxmEasyProduct stuff might be a help with getting new products started.
And there are *tons* of products with source code you can look
through...

> * any comparisons to Tomcat? or other Java-based frameworks?

No. ;)

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com