[Zope] Re: Installing Zope under RedHat

Maik Jablonski maik.jablonski@uni-bielefeld.de
Thu, 12 Dec 2002 15:04:55 +0100

Andrew Durdin wrote:
> I've been running Zope on my Win98 box just to try it out initially (less
> setup involved), but now I'm trying to install it on my Linux machine for
> better stability etc. I've successfully installed it, and it runs fine* when
> I start it manually, but I cannot get it to start on bootup: I've set up a
> script in /etc/rc.d/init.d/ and a link to it in /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/ (which is
> the correct runlevel), but although on bootup it says "Starting Zope.... [
> OK ]", Zope actually doesn't launch.

> *Except for a warning about Python 2.2.2 being too new, and one about
> running as "nobody"

You should use Python-2.1.3 with ZOPE2.6!!! Download and install it from
python.org.

You have to set the -u flag if you start Zope at boot-time, because Zope
doesn't like to be a root-process...;-) pleae read z2.py and
doc/SETUID.txt for more infos on that.

best practice: create a new user called 'zope' on your machine. set the
right ownerships / permissions in the Zope-Installation-Directories and
then start Zope with -u zope from your init-script.

-mj

--
German Zope User Group
http://www.dzug.org/