[Zope] running v2.6 as root on Jaguar

Phil Schumm pschumm@uchicago.edu
Fri, 13 Dec 2002 12:29:52 -0600

Hi,

I have for some time been running Zope 2.5.1 on OS X.  I have been
using a startup script to launch Zope automatically (i.e., as a Mac
OS service), which means that I am starting it as root.  Following
the advice I have read, I set up a restricted user called "zope", and
am using the -u flag in the start script to have Zope change to user
"zope" after it is launched.  Indeed, when I view the active
processes (e.g., using the ProcessViewer application), I see that one
of the two has switched to user "zope."

Recently, I installed Zope 2.6 on a new machine running Jaguar (i.e.,
OS 10.2).  Following the instructions in doc/SETUID.txt, I changed
the owner of var to root, set it's sticky bit, and added the -u flag
in the start script (i.e., -u zope).  Zope starts fine (and works
fine), but now when I look in the ProcessViewer, it appears that both
Zope processes are still running as root.  Does this mean that Zope
is not actually "setuid()"ing correctly to the user I have specified
with the -u flag?  Am I overlooking something obvious here?

Thanks for any insights,

-- Phil