[Zope] ZSQL arguments

Terry Hancock hancock@anansispaceworks.com
Sun, 15 Dec 2002 00:37:27 -0800

>From the DTML inside of a ZSQL method, is it possible to interrogate the list
of arguments?  Examing the source, I've tried various combinations of

_
context.arguments
self._arg
self.argument_src
argument_src
_.argument_src

and so on, but nothing seems to be understood.  In particular, "_" is
defined, but seems to be empty (at least a repr(_) doesn't render anything
into the query.  It doesn't seem that this information is made available to
the DTML code in a ZSQL method.

I'm asking because I have a fairly wide table that I want to be able to
update on essentially any field with optional arguments. There's nothing
equivalent to the <dtml-sqltest  ... optional>  structure for controlling
input, so I'm left with something like:

<dtml-if arg1>
   SET arg1 = <dtml-sqlvar arg1 type="string">,
</dtml-if>

for a couple dozen arguments, which is sort of tiresome, especially since
this would change if the schema changes.  It'd be nice to be able to code
this as a loop, but it's awkward without being able to handle the arguments
as a structure.  I can of course do some cut and paste in my editor and solve
the problem, but I wondered if there's a more elegant solution.

Cheers,
Terry

"Some things are too important to be taken seriously"