[Zope] Considerations using Zope

Tino Wildenhain tino@wildenhain.de
Mon, 16 Dec 2002 23:05:04 +0100

Hi Sathleesh,

... *snip*...

> Zope's object database is a really good technology, but as long as I
> can't gracefully store my code in CVS, I'm hesitant :-) Problem with web
> is that it is never possible to separate code from content 100%. There
> are some inititiatives to enable this, but the day when Zope stores its
> objects in pure FileSystem will be when I see heaven on earth :-)

while I agree with your opinions in the *snip*ed away part,
I see many people complaing about the fact of zope using not
plain files for objects. And any time I'm asking why zope should?
Is there any RDBMS out there which stores its tuples in separate
files? Anybody provided not using stone old DBMS used to work with
a text editor on plain files to change data in tables?
I think FileStorage and the many other options to store your objects
(think about ZEO, BSDDBstorage, the storage adaptors for Oracle and stuff)
are quite good when not even ideal.
Its just like a filesystem - you might use a disk editor to change or
save some data direcly on disk, but hardly anybody is doing this.

The ZMI is by far not the ideal place to do havy coding. But luckyly
we are not limited to this. The plain zope installation can be used
via FTP and WebDAV. Some text editors support ftp, some DAV and
any other can use ftpmount and friends.

What could be handy, however, would be a cvs pserver implementation
for ZServer to ease the use of standard programming workflow without
resort to the ZMI all the time.
(I have a rough start of this, handling connect and authorization so far.
Unfortunately I have so little spare time to continue)

Best regards
Tino