[Zope] Any comments from ex-PHP developers?

Bryan Capitano Bryan@capitanoweb.com
Wed, 18 Dec 2002 08:36:37 -0800

I read a post by somebody earlier saying something about "using the right
tool for the job." Bravo, well said!

And, I have not heard this "Pro" for PHP yet, so I'll say it now:
As an entrepreneur developing products for market, I am ultimately concerned
about how the market will accept accept my product. In my line of work
(developing Internet software products), I want to choose (and develop) a
product which will have the highest possible acceptance in my market
segment. Truth be told, PHP is still WAY ahead of Zope in terms of support
and deployment on Unix by Unix network administrators. In my market niche,
the support ratio for PHP:Zope is something like 50:1.  No hard feelings,
but as an entrepreneur, I cannot afford to ignore this single fact.

However, as an entrepreneur, I also cannot ignore the fact that Zope is
rising quickly in popularity. Within just the last 9 to 12 months, I've seen
Zope become a common topic of conversation, have seen seasoned network
admins begin to consider it, and have even seen some begin to trust it.
That's big (!) for such a short period of time! So, I'm on the wagon for
Zope. But right now, the fact is PHP still has better support and market
penetration.

Bryan