[Zope] conformance to W3C Recommendations and other standards

Jamie Heilman jamie@audible.transient.net
Fri, 20 Dec 2002 17:54:41 -0800

> this may be true, for example, for new page templates, but this is not true
> for, e.g., the dtml-tree tag or the ZMI, not to say that these can not be
> changed with some source hacking.

I wasn't aware page templates generated any markup on their own.  Yes,
the dtml-tree tag is a mess, thankfully there are viable alternatives.

> Although I think it would be great to have everything Zope-related spew
> perfect, validating XML/XHTML all the time, its not really that important
> because all browsers support the old deprecated HTML stuff, probably will
> for a long time, including all kinds of non-standard html. Its also a little
> quixotic because browsers do not completely support the latest standards
> yet.

Maybe valid xhtml and such isn't important to you, but it is to me.

> 99% of the time, to talk about "what html Zope produces" is a fallacy,
> because, as others have said, Zope produces very little html that the coder
> can not change. I.E, the HTML that Zope produces is entirely in your hands
> for all intents and purposes.

Both the <base> tag, and the Image.tag() method are examples of markup
generated by Zope (which, yes, can be overridden, and that was the
entire jist of my reply).  It may be 99% of people who are accusing
Zope of generating bad markup don't know what they are talking about,
but that doesn't make my examples any less valid.  My understanding of
the markup generation policy is that any and all code which generates
markup of its own should aim for standards compliance, and that which
falls short should be classified as a bug and fixed.  You've pointed
out another piece of the framework which needs help, dtml-tree, but I
don't see any bugs filed against it, perhaps you should do so.

--
Jamie Heilman                   http://audible.transient.net/~jamie/
"You came all this way, without saying squat, and now you're trying