[Zope] How many acl_users can I have

borge@tsar.no borge@tsar.no
Thu, 26 Dec 2002 16:40:00 +0100

Hei

we are going deliver a design proposal for a
knowledge management system and we are planning
to design it with zope. The system wil be a
combined e-learning and e-testing system. A user
can log on and go through some learninig and then
he or she can go through some test to verify the
learning. Now I wonder if I can have 10.000 or
even more users in one instance of zope?

As I have understood it, each user in zope is an
object. And with 10.000 such objects it is obvious
that I should keep each object as small as possible.
My initial idea is thus to store most of the
information on each user somewhere else than on the
object, for instance in an sql database. The system
should then work something like this:

User A logs on the e-lerning site. The site gathers
information about A from the database. The site
then displays the relevant learning packages to
A. A then goes through the learning he or she wants.

Next, A logs on the knowledge test site. This site
then gets information about A from the database. The
site then presents the relevant tests to A. A goes
through some test. A's test results are then stored on
A in the database.

After this some manager can acces the database to
verify if A have passed the test.

All pages in the learning site (text, pictures etc)
will be stored in zope's object database.

Best wishes and kind regards
Børge Kjeldstad