[Zope] using Zope as administration interface

Philippe Jadin all@123piano.com
Fri, 01 Feb 2002 14:35:28 +0100

Dietmar Hackl wrote:

>Hi,
>
>as I have to set up an administration tool for managing the webhosting part
>of our company (creating user accounts, teams of users, ftp-access, etc.), I
>was thinking about using Zope for this. Does anybody have experience with
>that sort of Zope application?
>
>thx
>Didi

It depends if you currently use zope for your hosting (I guess no). If
you don't, look at it, because in this case, user and ftp management is
builtin (and in this case you can use zope management interface to
manage users, role, security and ftp accounts).

If you want to manage a "traditional" setup (like *nix user accounts,
ftp accounts, apache virtual hosting...), you could either create an
interface yourself using zope, or use an existing solution (webmin?).

As for doing it yourself, imho it would be nice to use an "intermediate"
layer : you store everything in an sql DB (in this case zope is used to
build the interface to the sql db), and you use some scripting to
generate the config files from this DB. Usually server configs are so
specific that's it's not worth spending the time to write a complete
zope product.

My 0.02

Philippe