AW: [Zope] using Zope as administration interface

Dietmar Hackl dietmar.hackl@eun.org
Fri, 1 Feb 2002 14:44:50 -0000

Hi,

well, I would like to use Zope for the hosting part as well, but the prob=
lem
is, I have to use Apache as the webserver. So, is there a way, that Zope
manages just the ftp/user part (generating a ftp account, setting up virt=
ual
hosts) and I can view the uploaded stuff through Apache (pages will use p=
hp
for example)?

thx
didi

-----Urspr=FCngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Philippe Jadin [mailto:all@123piano.com]
Gesendet: vrijdag 1 februari 2002 13:35
An: Dietmar Hackl
Cc: zope@zope.org
Betreff: Re: [Zope] using Zope as administration interface

Dietmar Hackl wrote:

>Hi,
>
>as I have to set up an administration tool for managing the webhosting p=
art
>of our company (creating user accounts, teams of users, ftp-access, etc.=
),
>was thinking about using Zope for this. Does anybody have experience wit=
>that sort of Zope application?
>
>thx
>Didi

It depends if you currently use zope for your hosting (I guess no). If
you don't, look at it, because in this case, user and ftp management is
builtin (and in this case you can use zope management interface to
manage users, role, security and ftp accounts).

If you want to manage a "traditional" setup (like *nix user accounts,
ftp accounts, apache virtual hosting...), you could either create an
interface yourself using zope, or use an existing solution (webmin?).

As for doing it yourself, imho it would be nice to use an "intermediate"
layer : you store everything in an sql DB (in this case zope is used to
build the interface to the sql db), and you use some scripting to
generate the config files from this DB. Usually server configs are so
specific that's it's not worth spending the time to write a complete
zope product.

My 0.02

Philippe