[Zope] Re: Zope binary distributions

Lennart Regebro lennart@regebro.nu
Fri, 1 Feb 2002 22:46:23 +0100

For many of the more common unixes, like *BSD and Linux, many products do
come as 'packages'. Easily installable binary distributions. Very nice.
Python is widespread enough for you to be able to find a binary distribution
for many platforms.

That said, I often end up recompiling many of the binary distributions
anyway, because they don't work. On our OpenBSD installation the python
1.5.2 package didn't like *py files with CRLF line endings in it! How that
happened, I don't now, but since most of our files have CRLF, it didn't
work. I had to remove that package install the source and compile it
anyway...

Zope in itself is to totally dead easy to install on unix that a "binary"
distribution probably would be more painful that the current one.