[Zope] Globals disappearing in extmethod?

Joseph A Knapka jknapka@earthlink.net
Mon, 04 Feb 2002 13:56:51 +0000

"Thomas B. Passin" wrote:

> > If you go to the /myVarTest URL and hit "Refresh Page"
> > a couple of dozen times, you will see the reported
> > value of myVar jump around. It will increase for a
> > while, then jump backward an apparently random number.
> > The violates my (Python-centered) expectations
> > most horribly, and I'd really like to understand it.
> >

> I just did it 110 times and it incremented normally each time.  This is on
> Windows 2000, IE5.5, Zope 2.3.3.  Then I loaded it into Netscape 4.73 and it
> picked up where it had left off, and it incremented for another 20 tries.
> So it seems to work as expected on my system.

Mine is Zope 2.5.0 on WinNT4, IE6, Navigator4.77. And now that
I try it again, I cannot reproduce this behavior myself, though
I definitely saw it earlier. I must have been doing something
differently in the script.

Also, I rewrote my original code (the CGI app wrapper mentioned
in my original message) to always pass REQUEST as a parameter
to all code that uses it, rather than assigning it to a global;
that code worked flawlessly. Then I rewrote it again to store
REQUEST as a global, and that, too, is working fine now. So
apparently this is all a case of pilot error. If I find out any
further information, such as exactly what stupid thing I was doing
to cause the problems I saw, I'll post a message :0-/

(Hmm, can I use Zope to do version-control on my Python
extension files? I think so...)

Cheers,

-- Joe
"I should like to close this book by sticking out any part of my neck
 which is not yet exposed, and making a few predictions about how the
 problem of quantum gravity will in the end be solved."
 --- Physicist Lee Smolin, "Three Roads to Quantum Gravity"