[Zope] Compile Python

Oleg Broytmann Oleg Broytmann <phd@phd.pp.ru>
Sat, 9 Feb 2002 15:03:53 +0300

On Sat, Feb 09, 2002 at 07:51:02PM +0800, Terence Ng wrote:
> I know this is Zope mailing list, but I would like to ask a Python
> question.  I am new in Zope and Python, but I would like to compile
> Python myself in order to install Zope 2.5.0.  What standard configure I
> should set in compiling Python for the purpose of learning Python and the
> requirement of compiling Zope?  eg. ./configure --prefix=??? --???  I am
> using Debian 2.2r5, kernel 2.2.19.

   For Debian I recommend to install standard expat package, libxmltok1,
libxmltok1-dev (for PyExpat wrapper). (I hope all other recommended
packages are already instlled - libreadline4 and all that...)

   Untar Python 2.1.2 sources and edit Modules/Setup.in. Uncomment *shared*
line. Search for "pyexpat", comment it and put new line there:

pyexpat pyexpat.c -I/usr/include/xmltok -lxmlparse -lxmltok

   Then run

OPT="-O2" CC=gcc CFLAGS="-O2" CXX="g++" CXXFLAGS="-O2" LDFLAGS="-s" ./configure
make
make test
make install
   (this one under root account)