[Zope] Authentication from within External Methods

Dario Lopez-Kästen dario@ita.chalmers.se
Mon, 11 Feb 2002 19:00:16 +0100

----- Original Message -----
From: "Marc O. Sandlus" <marc@sandlus.de>
To: <zope@zope.org>
Sent: Monday, February 11, 2002 6:49 PM
Subject: [Zope] Authentication from within External Methods

> Hello,
>
> How can I authenticate a user (i.e. get his name and roles) from within
> an external (Python) method?

These options exist, afaik:

* Using exUserFolder you can write an "authentication source" that
  will let you do this within the exUserFolder framwork.

There are several more user-folder replacements, LoginManager is another,
for instance.

* Write your own usermanagement parallel to zope's and mimicking
  the API you can do this both with external methods and Python-
  Scripts. You won't be able to use these users to in the zope
  management interface, though.

I have done both and they work well, and it depends on what you really need.

I suggest you take a look at exUserFolder, since reading it's source will
help you understand the auth mechanism in zope quite well.

Hope this helps.

/dario