[Zope] Web publishing using Zope and GNU TeXmacs

Joris van der Hoeven TeXmacs@math.u-psud.fr
Fri, 22 Feb 2002 16:40:10 +0100 (MET)

Hi,

We would like to have tools for publishing on the Web,
using Zope and GNU TeXmacs (see http://www.texmacs.org).
The main idea is very simple:

1. Have one or more web sites running under Zope
   where documents will be published.

2. Make it possible to load/save TeXmacs documents
   directly from/to such a web site.

In addition, we would like to have tools for being able to
decorate pages, annotate pages, referee pages, catalogue pages,
search the site, rate pages, costumized navigation, history management,
display news on (certain topics of) the site, automatically create
online journals, and much more.

We are searching for volunteers who know Zope well to help
us with this project. The idea would be that one group of people
writes the necessary tools on the server side (which might also be
useful in combination with other frontends than TeXmacs) and
that we take care of the application side. We might start as follows:

1. Someone sets up and maintains an experimental server somewhere
   on the web (later this might be done on texmacs.org).

2. We agree on a good protocol for saving & loading documents.
   One might for instance use the post method of a form in order to
   save (a region of) a document.

3. We are working on Html/Xml converters and web support inside TeXmacs;
   it would be nice to automatically generate Html translations
   (for instance) of TeXmacs documents (there might be some information
   loss here, like the disappearing of mathemematical formulas).
   Then we might provide an Html version of a page when browsing the site
   using a conventional navigator and the TeXmacs version when browsing
   using TeXmacs.

4. Create the necessary administration tools for managing permissions,
   passwords, etc. This should be easy in Zope, but we might need
   some conventions on how to do this in combination with TeXmacs.

5. Find a way to automatically decorate the TeXmacs documents,
   downloaded from the Web, like providing a dynamic header and a footer.
   These decorations might be in Html (modulo a better Html->TeXmacs
   converter).

As a first goal, these tools may be used to create a collaborative website
for the documentation of TeXmacs itself. This might be a good test for
a very basic implementation. Next, the implementation might evolve towards
a more complete publishing system.

So: are there any volunteers ?

Maybe it is possible to adapt some existing work on this?

Thanks, Joris

Joris van der Hoeven <vdhoeven@texmacs.org>
http://www.texmacs.org: GNU TeXmacs scientific text editor
http://www.math.u-psud.fr/~vdhoeven: personal homepage