[Zope] Zope and Databases

Richard Hewison richard.hewison@luton.ac.uk
Mon, 25 Feb 2002 16:03:35 GMT

Our Zope 2.4.3 install is running on a SuSE Linux 7.3 server and
we want to connect to an Oracle database which is sitting on a
different server; a Sun Solaris based machine running OS 5.8 with
Oracle Enterprise Edition 8.1.7.0 installed.

We have downloaded the DCOracle2 product (for Red Hat Linux
7.1, Python 2.1) but we aren't using Red Hat and we seem unable
to get the product to install properly. It complains about the
ORACLE_HOME. Also, skimming through the documentation is
extremely confusing. As far as we can tell, the docs seem to
assume that the Oracle Database is installed (or to be installed) on
the same server as the one that runs Zope. In our scenario, this
isn't the case.

Basically, how can we discover the correct ORACLE_HOME info
from the Sun box and what else do we need to do with DCOracle2
to get it connecting to our Oracle database? (We know very little
about Oracle if you can't tell already!).

Richard H.