[Zope] Zope and Databases

Richard Hewison richard.hewison@luton.ac.uk
Tue, 26 Feb 2002 16:03:04 GMT

On 25 Feb 2002, at 12:22, Matthew T. Kromer wrote:

> Hello Richard,
>
> DCOracle2 requires that you have the Oracle client libraries installed on
> your computer.  You may download from Oracle corporation the ISO images
> necessary to do an install of the client libraries, see
> http://technet.oracle.com.  Currently, the Oracle 9i ISO set is three
> volumes, so I hope you have a good connection.
>
> I cannot redistribute Oracle's client libraries; you must obtain them from
> an authorized Oracle source.

Okay, so we do have to install Oracle on the Linux server. We were
hoping that we wouldn't have to. Our Zope server's a bit on the
crappy side and doesn't have that much space left on it.

> Once you have the Oracle client libraries installed you may connect to
> your remote database server on your Sun system.

Sorry for the newbie type question, but what exactly should we be
looking for on the technet.oracle site? Oracle client libraries for
Linux don't seem to yield any results.

> >Basically, how can we discover the correct ORACLE_HOME info
> >from the Sun box and what else do we need to do with DCOracle2
> >to get it connecting to our Oracle database? (We know very little
> >about Oracle if you can't tell already!).
> >

> If installing Oracle's client libraries is a daunting task, you may also
> pursue some kind of SQL relay agent.  One commercial relay agent is
> OpenLink (http://www.openlink.com) which you may use with an ODBC database
> adapter with Zope to connect to your remote databases.

That sounds a little more interesting. We'll investigate that.

> I do believe there are also free Python-level remote database adapter
> modules, but I do not have details on them.

Does anyone else here have any further info on these?

Thanks for the response!

Richard H.