[Zope] user accounts

Dieter Maurer dieter@handshake.de
Tue, 26 Feb 2002 20:47:42 +0100

Richard Hewison writes:
 > This is a problem that has dogged us for ages, and this is probably
 > the third time we've asked for help here. Basically, new users
 > added to specific folders within Zope (via the acl_users folder)
 > cannot login to the system. The only account that seems to work
 > fine is the one for the 'admin' user.
 >
 > The most annoying thing about this is that it *did* work when we
 > first installed Zope, but somewhere down the line it stopped. This
 > has happened on two different servers with two different operating
 > systems (Sun SOlaris and now Linux) and two different versions of
 > Zope (2.4.1 and 2.4.3).
 >
 > It's a fairly serious problem if we want to use Zope to handle our
 > main web site in the future. Anyone had this and solved it? Does
 > v2.5 have this as well?
I saw recently something which might be similar:

     All of a sudden, some "acl_users" objects went away.

     Of course, login via these formerly existing user folders
     were no longer possible.

     Restarting Zope solved the problem for some days. Then,
     the "acl_users" disappeared again.

Upgrading to Zope 2.5 *AND* Python 2.1.2 solved the problem...
It was almost surely caused by the known memory corruption
problems in Zope 2.4.x (with 1 <= x <= 3) and Python 2.1.1.

Dieter