[Zope] SiteRoot, Not = alias? Ouch...

R^3 russo@albany.edu
Thu, 3 Jan 2002 18:46:24 -0500 (EST)

Without knowing anything about SiteRoot I decided to add one to my Root
folder with a title and path to an existing subfolder (/uasite) within
Root Folder.

I seem to have now lost access to the contents previously in Root Folder.

That's okay. I'm just playing for now.

I then tried adding a SiteRoot path for a non-existing folder (site1).

No error is produced. Clicking "Ok" to the message, "This object now has a
SiteRoot." Produces a bunch of errors which makes sense since I guess none
of the resources Zope needs can now be found.

My suggestion is to do an existence test before allowing a SiteRoot to be
created to a non-existing path. There may be a reason for allowing this
but, it currently escapes me. If there is a reason, a meaningful warning
and confirmation screen might be useful.
BTW - I was able to back up to a management screen and do an undo
to eliminate the SiteRoot to the non-existant path object.

I was really attempting to figure out how to do aliases so that
Root Folder

|__uasite

   |__webgrp

Could be reached through URL: http://server:8080/webgrp/
Instead of: http://server:8080/uasite/webgrp/

I hadn't found this in the Zope Book yet (or didn't understand what I
was reading).

If someone could point me to the topic which covers this I'd be very
happy. :)

-Ryan