[Zope] CMF Intro?

Derek Simkowiak dereks@realloc.net
Mon, 14 Jan 2002 12:40:26 -0800 (PST)

	I see that Zope has these cool things:

o  User Management and Permissions control
o  Version Control
o  Undo
o  Web-based GUI for site administration
o  ZPT and WebDAV support for working with things like SiteBuilder,
FrontPage, etc. under OS X and WinXP

	These are all hallmarks of a great Content Management System.  I
can easily see how I'd divide up my clients' corporate website using Zope.

	So my question is: WTF is "CMF" for?  What problem does it try to
solve?  How is it different from, well, plain old Zope?

	I've read the "Introduction" at

http://cmf.zope.org/doc/introduction.txt

	But it doesn't answer my question.  (Honestly, it provides
practically no information whatsoever and reads like a marketing document.
Sorry to whoever wrote it.)  It refers to "services" with names like
"SiteDesignServices" and "IntegrationServices", but I have to clue what
those are or where to find more information about them, or why I'd want
them.

	I've also read [much of]

http://cmf.zope.org/CMF/Members/beehive/ZWACKChap5.html

	...which shows me that CMF hides the Zope admin interface to
endusers.  Is that the whole point of CMF?  Also, from this I see that CMF
provides basic "types" such as "File", "Document", "Image", and "Folder".
Are these different from Zope's types of the same name?  Or are they the
same thing?

	I have not yet d/led and installed--that's my next step.  But I'd
like to have a document, case study, or demo that I can show my client
before I put more billable hours into this.

	Please advise.

Thank You,
Derek Simkowiak