[Zope] WebDAV Locks / 2.4.3/ MS Office 2000

Chris Withers chrisw@nipltd.com
Tue, 15 Jan 2002 15:23:03 +0000

Hi,

Right, I'm having fun'n'games with .xls files being served out of Zope 2.4.3 and
accessed on computers with M$ Office 2000 installed.

Basically, when you try and download the .xls file, you get an "Enter Network
Password" dialog box. If you hit cancel, it usually opens okay but some users
ahve reported machine crashes and the like.

Now, through tweaking permissions, it appears the box is popping up 'cos Office
2000 is trying to:

1. open the doc via WebDAV rather than normal HTTP (how can  make it not do
this?!)

2. lock the file (ug! these files are anonymously accessible, surely they should
not be lockable?!)

Since Anonymous doesnt' have the WebDAV lock permission, it throws the dialog
up.

So, some questions:

How can I make Office stop attempting to lock these resources?

How many people can simultaneously holda WebDAV lock on a file?

What permission controls whether or not they can edit the file?

When do WebDAV locks go away?

that'll do for starters...

cheers,

Chris

PS: These files are supposed to be read-only, god knows why WebDAV is coming
into play off a simple <a href=""> link :-(((