[Zope] Zope Not Being Logical

Tony McDonald tony.mcdonald@ncl.ac.uk
Fri, 18 Jan 2002 17:00:23 +0000

On 18/1/02 12:22 am, "Wade Pearce" <Wade.Pearce@dpac.tas.gov.au> wrote:

> Ok,
>
> Recently we had a site crash due to a corrupt Data.fs file.  We attempted to
> recover the file using fsrecover.py but could never get it to run properly
> with Zope.  We always got a Proxy Error: Connection Refused.
>
> So, we loaded a dated Data.fs file that is some 450MB smaller.
>
> Now, within zope/var, we have two Data.fs files:
>
> - Data.fs is the dated Data.fs at 245MB in size
> - Data.fs.Oz is the attempted recovered Data.fs at 695MB in size.
>
> But the strangest thing is happening.  If we attempt to load Data.fs.Oz with
> Zope, it fails to work.  But after attempting this, we restart Zope with the
> older Data.fs and the site contained within Data.fs.Oz appears.  To further
> confuse matters, Data.fs.Oz continues to grow and when we create *.zexp files,
> they are coming from Data.fs.Oz.  The older Data.fs file has not changed size
> since we discovered this back on January 10.
>
> Below is an ls -l of the zope/var directory over a period of time this
> morning:
>
> golum:/var/lib/zope/var# ls -l
> total 1738132
> -rw-r--r--    1 angel1   angel1   245093502 Jan 10 20:52 Data.fs
> -rw-r--r--    1 root     root     700849746 Jan 18 10:58 Data.fs.Oz
>
> golum:/var/lib/zope/var# ls -l
> total 1750088
> -rw-r--r--    1 angel1   angel1   245093502 Jan 10 20:52 Data.fs
> -rw-r--r--    1 root     root     707298826 Jan 18 11:22 Data.fs.Oz
> For some reason, Zope has loaded Data.fs.Oz and is using this.  One thing I
> did notice was that when we tried to directly load Data.fs.Oz (as Data.fs), no
> z2-pcgi.pid file was created.
>
> Any ideas on what is causing this would be greatly appreciated.  We've
> currently got a list of up-to-date *.zexp files from Data.fs.Oz, and during a
> quiter time, we're thinking of creating a clean Data.fs and uploading the
> data.  The only problem we have is that we don't know if the clean Data.fs
> will inherit the problems of Data.fs.Oz because its buried within one of the
> folders.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Wade Pearce

I can't give any help Wade, but can certainly say that this *does* happen -
it did with my first ZEO installation, and man did I think I was losing my
marbles there...

I *think* I got around it by deleting all non Data.fs files (Data.fs.lock
Data.fs.tmp) in the var directory.

HTH (although it probably doesn't)
Tone
Ps HTML mail frowned up on this list...
--
Dr Tony McDonald,  Assistant Director, FMCC, http://www.fmcc.org.uk/
The Medical School, Newcastle University Tel: +44 191 243 6140