[Zope] apache + vhm & http-rfc compliance

Oliver Bleutgen myzope@gmx.net
Mon, 21 Jan 2002 12:17:50 +0100

Gary Poster wrote:

> Thanks for the info and clarification.  I'm exploring a bit on this myself,
> now.  I want to look at rule construction some more though, even though I
> now understand why what I listed was a bad choice.
>
> It's getting kind of hacked up with all of the replies, so here's your
> original, as copied from
> http://lists.zope.org/pipermail/zope/2002-January/107176.html :
>

>>I use an extra condition to avoid that problem and do another rewrite
>>if hostname has the port appended:
>>

> RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^.*:80$
> RewriteRule ^/(.*)
> http://localhost:25080/zopefolder/VirtualHostBase/http/%{HTTP_HOST}/VirtualH
> ostRoot/$1 [P]
> http://localhost:25080/zopefolder/VirtualHostBase/http/%{HTTP_HOST}/VirtualH
> ostRoot/$1 [P]
>
> Is that last line doubled by accident?  Or is it supposed to look a little
> different? Assuming that the last line should be deleted or changed, then
> that makes sense.  I've been experimenting today with the following slight
> modification, with some success, though, and it seems like a more generic
> solution to me.  Here it is based on what you were using (mine actually
> looks different, because I am using my own product, but here it is with you
> code):
>
> RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^.*:\d*$
> RewriteRule ^/(.*)
> http://localhost:25080/zopefolder/VirtualHostBase/http/%{HTTP_HOST}/VirtualH
> ostRoot/$1 [P]
> RewriteRule ^/(.*)
> http://localhost:25080/zopefolder/VirtualHostBase/http/%{HTTP_HOST}:%{SERVER
> _PORT}/VirtualHostRoot/$1 [P]

You are right Gary, I had a typo in my rules (forgot the port in the
second rewrite rule) - sorry. But how we now rewrite in detail isn't so
important, IMO, compared to the confusion the old rules might cause.

> That's assuming SERVER_PORT is reliable, which it has been in my tests
> today.  This performed satisfactorily today for me with IE, Moz, and WebDAV,
> using multiple http ports (ok, well, two, one normal and one webdav source).

I also think so, but I haven't checked this. I assume apache gets the
server port variable out of it's config and not from the browser.

> [...]

> I'm not sure, but the latest nightly Mozilla build may be doing this exact
> thing.  I got some results that seemed to suggest that.  Interesting.

Ugh, then we'd better get the word out, I hope others have seen this thread.

> Thanks for bringing this up.

Np, thanks for doing howtos, something which I didn't get around till now.

cheers,
oliver