[Zope] Static fail-over

Chris McDonough chrism@zope.com
Mon, 21 Jan 2002 22:52:27 -0500

> Hmm. That would be a new piece of software, but this
> might justify using it. I assume from what little I've
> heard that squid would install between Zserver and
> Apache in the request stream, and mostly handle caching.

You have several options here:

- use Apache's mod_proxy instead of Squid (Like Squid,
  you'll need to see if it supports serving up content
  when cached content goes stale and the origin server {Zope}
  is unavailable).

- If you aren't serving anything but Zope pages, you could
  replace Apache with Squid.  Squid is designed to cache
  and IMHO does a better job than mod_proxy all around
  at caching.

- You could arrange your network like this if you really
  needed Apache, but you'd still get the benefit of
  Squid (although more moving parts always == problems):

  Internet <-> Squid <-> Apache <-> Zope

  This setup:

  Internet <-> Apache <-> Squid <-> Zope

  ... is potentially a little more sick and twisted but
  would also work.

- C