[Zope] Zope 2.5.0b4/2.4.x crashes

Keith J. Farmer kfarmer@thuban.org
Tue, 22 Jan 2002 17:33:17 -0800

In the continuing effort to figure out why a C-extension I've written
works without error in the Python interpreter, yet causes Zope to
terminate abnormally (with nary a traceback) I've started to explore the
ExternalMethod code.

Curious -- why does it use the method it does (apply(), etc) rather than
simply importing the external module and calling the method?

At this point, I'm wondering if the (transient, but fatal) error is in
the Python interpreter itself, and triggers due to the way Zope handles
external methods.

The setup is as follows:

Zope -> ExternalMethod object -> .py module with stubs to .dll functions
-> .dll

The crashes appear to happen on the call to the .dll file which, as I
mentioned above, causes no errors when directly executed from the
interpreter.

The switch from 2.4.3 to 2.5.0b4 helped quite a bit, but the crashes
still happen.  The folks at Zope Collector are unable to suggest
anything further.

Keith J. Farmer
kfarmer@thuban.org
http://www.thuban.org