[Zope] Relational Philosophy

Paul Holman pablos@kadrevis.com
Thu, 24 Jan 2002 02:12:41 -0800

I'm working on writing an app in Zope and would like to try using the
Zope object database exclusively.  The problem I run into is how to best
go about modeling relational data.  For instance, I might have a list of
courses and a list of students.  If I create a course object and put
student objects under it, I'll end up with duplicate student objects as
students are in more than one course:

Basketweaving
	Trent
	Eve
	Alice
Object-Relational Modeling 101
	Bob
	Trent
	Alice

Obviously if I do it the other way around, and put courses inside
student objects, I have the same problem.  I need to do a many-to-many
relationship.

So do I just start using object IDs as pointers to objects separate
hierarchies?

Courses
	Basketweaving
	Object-Relational Modeling 101