[Zope] Data.fs + WebDAV vs. LocalFS + Samba

Derek Simkowiak dereks@realloc.net
Sat, 26 Jan 2002 12:44:51 -0800 (PST)

	The idea is that endusers can drag'n'drop files under MS-Windows,
and immediately have those files -- password protected via Zope --
available on the web.  This is for a design house that needs to make
videos, web pages, etc. available to clients for review with HTTP.

	I see my two options as:

1. Mount the Zope server as a WebDAV drive under MS-WindowsXP, then just
drag'n'drop there

2. Use LocalFS to give Zope access to some directory, and then share that
directory with Samba

	Any comments on the advantages/disadvantages of each?  I'm leaning
towards the Samba solution, because Win98 and MacOS 9.x don't support
WebDAV natively.  Also, with LocalFS I have the "type_map" property, which
is really useful.  I am *still* shocked and amazed that there is no such
property for standard Zope folders--what good is WebDAV access without it?

--Derek