[Zope] Unexplained performance differences between uploads

Thomas Guettler Thomas Guettler <thomas@thomas-guettler.de>
Mon, 28 Jan 2002 05:46:34 +0100

On Sat, Jan 26, 2002 at 03:49:53AM -0500, Ausum wrote:
> Has anyone else found differences in upload times, between FTP and the
> management interface? These are times of single file uploads, from my local
> file system:. (no bandwith issues)
>
>     A tiff file of 4.7 MB: From the MI: 2'10" / Using FTP:25 seconds
>     A jpeg of 478Kb:     MI: 14 seconds / FTP: 3 1/2 seconds
>     An mp3 of 3.6MB:   MI:     1'40"  /   FTP:   17 seconds
>
> Why is this happening? Times were measured from pushing the required button
> until the page response (in the case of the MI), and until the "transfer
> complete" message in FTP. The test box was a Pentium 200 running W2K,
>  Zope 2.5b4, IE 5.5, and WS_FTP95.

I read on this list that the upload with a browser needs to be base64 encoded.

> Moreover, when using Netscape 4.75 the times were even longer, unless
> playing around with the browser window (meaning resizing it several times
> during the upload) wich "speeds up" the upload by apparently compelling the
> page to respond. (It looks more like a Netscape's bug this sort of response
> laziness) . Nonetheless FTP was still faster, and doing the same trick in IE
> didn't change the times above.

I have this big difference between IE and netscape, too. Somone said
that Netscape stores the file to memory before writing to the server.

 thomas

--
Thomas Guettler <guettli@thomas-guettler.de>
http://www.thomas-guettler.de