[Zope] MySQL and Zope products problems

Tony McDonald tony.mcdonald@ncl.ac.uk
Tue, 29 Jan 2002 10:46:43 +0000

On 29/1/02 8:53 am, "Richard Hewison" <richard.hewison@luton.ac.uk> wrote:

> We have recently tried to install MySQL on our server (SuSE Linux 7.3
> based) as well as a few Zope products (ZMySQLDA, SQL Blender). The
> first signs of things not working was when the ZMySQLDA was showing up
> in Zope 2.4.3 as a broken product. Looking at the server itself indicated an
> import error during the starting up of Zope:
> "Zope could not import Products.ZMySQLDA" and "ImportError: No
> module named _mysql"

ldconfig on linux helps a bit (I think - I use Solaris). Check the archives
for 'ldconfig'.

> We've installed an rpm of MySQL (v3.23.47-1) for Linux as well as
> MySQL Python v0.9.0 (which we had to build and install as it wasn't a
> binary version). According to the instructions for ZMySQLDA, it says: "If
> you are using a binary package of Zope, you need run setup.py with Zope's
> python executable. Otherwise, Zope (ZMySQLDA) will not be able to find
> _mysql.".
> What exactly does this mean when it talks about "...Zope's python
> executable"?

It's the python that's referenced in the 'exec' line of the 'start' file.
Usually /usr/local/bin/python - but can be a python bundled with a binary
release of zope (in which case you'll have an unusual python path in
'start')

To setup mysqldb you need to do
% python setup.py build
% python setup.py install
(check I've got it right in the docs)

'python' above is usually /usr/local/bin/python but you must make sure you
use the python from a binary release of Zope.

Hth
Tone
--
Dr Tony McDonald,  Assistant Director, FMCC, http://www.fmcc.org.uk/
The Medical School, Newcastle University Tel: +44 191 243 6140