[Zope] Architecture Suggestions?

Richard Gordon richard@richardgordon.net
Wed, 30 Jan 2002 16:20:16 -0500

hi

I last played around with Zope maybe 18 mos. ago and didn't
particularly care for it, but have recently gotten interested again-
either it's improved greatly or I have or maybe both, but in any case
I'm seriously considering it for use in a rather peculiar project and
would appreciate any suggestions that you may care to offer.

Briefly, a client of mine has an intranet web site that contains its
ISO-9000 documentation. The content is almost entirely in native
Word, Excel, etc. format (not because that's a good idea, it's just
the way things had to be and have to remain as a practical matter).
There are over 1600 documents and around a third of them have 2700
hyperlinks embedded in the text flow that use relative addressing. As
you would expect, the file sizes are huge- the largest is 9.4 megs
and the average is 181k- if you throw out the largest 50 and smallest
50, the average is still 114k.

Anyway, this has worked better than it should for about a year in
spite of being served by the miserable IIS on NT and I've used python
scripting to handle the menu maintenance and to do some fairly arcane
reporting. The site is actively used by maybe 150 people a day and
something significant changes at least 2-3 times a week. Suffice it
to say that there have been regular problems as well, about 80%
because of IIS (i.e., mystery file and folder locking for weeks at a
time and other functionality that you can read about in the M$ bug
database) and the balance because the IT guys are slackers who
apparently have very little understanding about how NT works.

The upshot is that now there is talk of migrating the whole thing
into Lotus Notes (using a web interface) and actually storing the
files in Notes mainly to obtain better reporting. This strikes me as
absurd given the file sizes and the need to reset all of the embedded
links in the documents among other things, so I am thinking more
along the lines of a) getting this site moved onto its own server,
preferably either bsd or linux, and b) using apache to serve the
static files from the file system and c) using Zope to handle the
interface, any DB connections that are appropriate, and managing
things via ExternalFile. I would assume that the internal links will
work without any changes since the file system is still the same.

Does anyone see a big problem with this approach? And does anyone
have experience with Lotus Notes in this type of project? I've never
heard anything good about Domino server except that it was
appropriately named, but....

Thanks & sorry to ramble on for so long.

Richard Gordon
Gordon Design
Web Design/Database Development
http://www.richardgordon.net