[Zope] Zope on solaris for the beginner.

Matthew T. Kromer matt@zope.com
Thu, 31 Jan 2002 16:10:28 -0500

jesse wright wrote:

>This is very humble-ing.
>Hopefully someone is a salvation waiting to happen.
>
>I'm new to Zope and could really use a little help installing.
>I'm on a Solaris Box.
>
>I've Downloaded Zope-2.5.0-solaris-2.6-sparc
>./install -u root
>
>all looks good
>
>Next I try to
>./start -u root
>All goes well until the install seems to get hung up on
>Unix socket: /path to Zope-2.5.0/var/pcgi
>
>When I try to
>./start (with no other options)
>
>I get:
>File /path to Zope/zy.py, line 688, in?
>IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/path to Zope/var/Z2.pid'
>
>I imagine this time the error comes from not starting as root.
>That and the fact that this file does not seem t be in the "var" folder.
>
>basically i can't bet to
>mymachine.com:8080/manage
>So I haven't got this up and running yet.
>
>I would greatly appreciate any Advice on this.
>
>Thank you in Advance,
>jESSE

Eep!  Don't run Zope as root, please!  Run Zope as a regular user on a
high port, and use Apache to forward requests from port 80.   There are
a number of references available -- check google for "Apache" and "Zope."

--
Matt Kromer
Zope Corporation  http://www.zope.com/