[Zope] ZMySQLDA Help

Tony McDonald tony.mcdonald@ncl.ac.uk
Wed, 03 Jul 2002 10:53:18 +0100

On 3/7/02 9:18 am, "Phil Harris" <phil@harris-family.info> wrote:

> /me volunteers to do the shooting

He got me!

> ;)
>
> btw   long time no hear from Tone, how's things?

(replies to list as some of this might be interesting to them)

Loads of Zope work, upgrading servers to 2.5.1/python 2.1.3, and therein
lies a tale. You might have seen the interchanges on the list between
fearless Paul Browning, magic Matt Hamilton and I about threading on Solaris

http://www.zope.org/Members/glpb/news2

Upshot there is that Python is not very happy on multiprocessors - hence I'm
using the 'pbind' (solaris) command to allocate a processor to a particular
Zope process. This has seriously made me look at Apple Xserve boxes (you
know I have a penchant for the kind of stuff they make :) and the anguish
from Bristol (PB's lair - a big solaris shop) has been heard all the way to
the northeast!

Positive aspect of 2.5.1/2.1.3 is that our systems are much more stable, but
I have a weird problem re:sessions that even has ChrisMcD baffled! (puffs
out chest).

I'm moving our team onto PageTemplates. People are taking to it very well,
the main problem seems to be translating the <dtml-if> ... <dtml-else> ...
</dtml-if> idiom into PageTemplates. I guess the standard reply is a python
script. I've been adding snippets to www.zopelabs.com in the PageTemplates
area (for those who don't know, ZopeLabs has *loads* of Zope tips and
snippets of code).

This is *heavily* outweighed by the flexibility you get with macros - we
have a site (not available publicly yet, but will be) where the content is
the same, we just make various wrappers around it dependant on whether you
have a style-sheet capable browser, want bigger text etc. Obviously, you can
do this in DTML, it's just that PT and Macros make is *sooo* easy!

People say PT is slow - I've not noticed anything, but then I'm on slowlaris
:)

Hope things are well down there,
Tone.
--
Dr Tony McDonald,  Assistant Director, FMCC, http://www.fmcc.org.uk/
The Medical School, Newcastle University Tel: +44 191 243 6140