[Zope] Re: pbind - maximising performance on a multiprocessor Solaris box (Was: ZMySQLDA Help )

Tony McDonald tony.mcdonald@ncl.ac.uk
Fri, 05 Jul 2002 16:39:51 +0100

On 5/7/02 4:05 pm, "Paul Browning" <paul.browning@bristol.ac.uk> wrote:

>> hence
>> I'm using the 'pbind' (solaris) command to allocate a processor to a
>> particular Zope process. This has seriously made me look at Apple Xserve
>> boxes (you know I have a penchant for the kind of stuff they make :) and
>> the anguish from Bristol (PB's lair - a big solaris shop) has been heard
>> all the way to the northeast!
>>

> Tone:
>
> So how do you use pbind? Can you share a script or two?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Paul

SYNOPSIS
     pbind -b processor_id  pid ...

     pbind -u pid ...

     pbind [ -q ]  [ pid ... ]

DESCRIPTION
      pbind controls and queries bindings of processes to proces-
     sors.  pbind binds all the LWPs (lightweight processes) of a
     process to a processor, or removes or displays the bindings.

This may mean that you need to make sure the lwp libraries are used, ie
lines like

LD_LIBRARY_PATH='/usr/lib/lwp:/lib:/usr/local/lib:/usr/local/mysql/lib'
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH

Should be included in the 'start' script.

The problem seems to be that the 'start' script starts off zope using an
'exec' command. This replaces the current process (a shell) with the zope
process. Thus adding commands at the end of the script to grab the process
id and 'pbind' it will be pointless as those commands wont get run...

At the moment, I'm 'pbind-ing' manually :(

Tone
--
Dr Tony McDonald,  Assistant Director, FMCC, http://www.fmcc.org.uk/
The Medical School, Newcastle University Tel: +44 191 243 6140