[Zope] Create subfolder at product creation

Wolfgang Strobl ws@mystrobl.de
Sat, 6 Jul 2002 09:12:16 +0200

On 5 Jul 2002, at 22:53, Dieter Maurer wrote:

> Wolfgang Strobl writes:
>  > ...
>  > What is the purpose of myInstance._setId(id)?
> "_setId" is very well named.

> This well chosen name makes questions as the above superfluous ;-)

I would have called it _set__name__, setName or something, but not setId.

>  > Is it necessary?
> Each Zope site object needs an id!

But _setId doesn't set an id!

> Depending on the object type, the id can be provided in a different
> way. But, it is a very good idea to use "_setId". This is very clear
> and explicit.
>
>  > ...
>  > Now _setObject in ObjectManager already adds a string attribute >
>  named "id".
> Are you sure?

Well, I checked again. It creates a string property, but doesn't
set a data attribute. Well, that's the problem with "using the
source" when confronted with missing documentation and a
somewhat baroque terminology: one sometimes fails. It's no
replacement for specs and documentation.

>   When I just tried to verify your statement, I have been
>   unable to see that the "set" object gets an "id" attribute...

But you noticed that _setId doesn't either?

>  > So in fact _setId seems redundant and should be
>  > eleminated from the API.
> Don't remove the clear and well named methods from the API!

I'm still in search of a recipe how to tell clear and well named
methods from confusingly and misleadingly named ones.

Given that _setId doesn't do what it says, I'm not quite sure
wether it is in the former or in the latter category.

--
Wolfgang Strobl