[Zope] renaming users

Dieter Maurer dieter@handshake.de
Fri, 12 Jul 2002 21:33:59 +0200

Bryan C. Andregg writes:
 > I've been asked to change the usernames of our users from something
 > stand-alone to their email address. Searching the web I didn't find anything
 > related to this. I figure if I can get the password (I am the Admin) then I
 > can at least delete and re-add.
You must be careful. You will loose all owner and ownership information.

That can have a dramatic effect for all kind of executable object
(such as DTML methods, Page Templates and Python Scripts).
Furthermore, users may find themselves unable to work with their
own object because Zope no longer recognizes they are theirs.

When you change user names you must fix local roles and ownership
information correspondingly.

You will need an External Method (or something similar) for this
kind of operation.

Dieter