[Zope] horrible ZCatalog kludge

Casey Duncan casey@zope.com
Mon, 15 Jul 2002 13:49:28 -0400

On Monday 15 July 2002 01:27 pm, Kyler Laird wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 14, 2002 at 11:07:44PM -0400, Casey Duncan wrote:
>=20
> > I imagine once I get time to get query objects off the ground, this
> > capability will be part of the core. Until then, you could also use m=
> > CatalogQuery product which also has this capability (and more).
>=20
> Of course!  I now recall having seen this long ago when I
> was considering switching to using ZCatalogs.  It is the
> cleaner answer to a few things I'm trying to accomplish.
> I'm installing it now.
>=20
> Thank you!
>=20
> --kyler
>=20
> P.S.  When will expression grouping be implemented?  That
> would be a big help.

CatalogQuery is something of an evolutionary dead-end. I don't intend to=20
enhance it any further myself. Implementing expression grouping would mea=
n=20
rewriting the expression parser entirely. The current implementation is j=
ust=20
a dumb regex.

What I do intend to do is implement a Python expression based query synta=
x so=20
that I don't need my own expression parser. This is what query objects is=
 all=20
about. Query objects will be at a lower level than CatalogQuery is, but t=
hey=20
will be much more powerful and allow you to easily write other query dial=
ects=20
on top of them.

-Casey