[Zope] Heeeeeeeeeeeeelp (login problem)

Breuer, Yvon YBreuer@tee.toshiba.de
Tue, 16 Jul 2002 12:33:58 +0200

Hi Zope-wizards,

As you can see in my subject: I'm getting quite frustrated by some =
stupid error when I'm trying to login to my Zope server. (Yep, I'm a =
newbie...)

SITUATION
I'm going to create a website to gather funds for a hospital in Ghana =
(St. John of God Hospital in Duayaw Nkwanta).
To get an idea about the situation: =
http://www.zwo.nhl.nl/hbov/buitenlandstage/ghana.html (Dutch & English).

WEBSITE
I want to do this with Zope & Python. I want people to be able to do =
online donations, retrieve information about the project, maybe send a =
mailinglist to keep them up to date and there are many more plans. So: =
I've got a lot to learn...

LEARN & DEVELOP @ WORK & @ HOME
In order to learn as quickly as possible I tried to install Zope at work =
and at home (of course during my break ;-) ). At work (Win2000 Prof.), =
everything functions OK. I've done the tutorial and I'm now working =
myself through the ZopeBook. So far so good, but...

MY PROBLEM
At home I've installed Zope (2.5.1) on my computer (Win98). No errors =
occured during installation. So, just like at work I tried to login to =
Zope for the first time, but...
When I start the START.BAT, my computer starts a dial-in to my =
internetprovider! It seems this occurs when START.BAT is trying to =
retrieve my hostname. When START.BAT is finished, I've tried to type =
in...
* http://127.0.0.1:8080/manage (START.BAT comes up with 127.0.0.1 as =
localhost and 8080 as port)=20
* http://popeye:8080/manage or http://popeye:8021/manage (popeye is the =
computername in my Win98 network-settings and START.BAT comes up with =
popeye as localhost for port 8021)=20
* http://localhost:8080/manage (should always work, right? Not!)=20
* http://stjohnhospital:8080/manage (stjohnhospital is the superuser I =
installed Zope with)
... but none of them works!!!
All that happens is that my browser (MsIE) when I'm OFFLINE shows me =
that the page cannot be found and when I'm ONLINE it shows me either =
"server error" or "page not found".   >:-((

NB: It doesn't matter wether I login to my internprovider or not. I'm =
quite sure it's nonesense to be online in order to login to a local =
Zope-server, but hey, I've tried everything possible (as far as I know). =
I also tried to un- and reinstall Zope, but that didn't work either.   =
:-(

So please, help me out here!!! (In a short while I've got some days off =
and I want to do some work for the website at home.) Not only me, but =
also the people we're trying to help will be very gratefull!   ;-))

Best regards,

Yvon Breuer