[Zope] RFC: ZMI Bookmarks

Evan Simpson evan@4-am.com
Tue, 16 Jul 2002 12:52:31 -0500

Just the other day, I hacked up an implementation of transient ZMI
bookmarks.  It puts an icon next to an object's breadcrumb path that
stuffs the path into a session variable, then uses javascript to reload
the menu pane.  If there are any bookmarks in the session variable, they
are listed below the folder tree in the menu pane as links to
manage_workspace of that path.

So, you click on the little add-a-bookmark icon and a bookmark appears
under the folder tree.  I showed it to my designer/wife, and she loved
it.  Then I explained that the bookmarks are kept in a session, so they
go *poof* when you restart Zope or your browser.  She said "so, make
them permanent".

Easier said than done, of course.  As soon as I started down that path,
I got analysis paralysis thinking about bookmark sets, user properties,
special bookmark containers, etc, etc.

Now, I'm hoping that someone on the list has a clever idea for making
these bookmarks persist, in a usefully Zopish way, that doesn't involve
dragging in whole other frameworks (i.e. a third-party User Folder
implementation).  Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Evan @ 4-am