[Zope] small RFC : how to enhance zopistas' web experience

Jerome Alet alet@librelogiciel.com
Thu, 25 Jul 2002 16:16:02 +0200

On Thu, Jul 25, 2002 at 09:45:47AM -0400, Jens Vagelpohl wrote:

> that depends on the webmaster. i assume not all want to basically "share"
> their users' data in that fashion. some might want to retain complete
> control themselves.

participating is a voluntary action, my idea wasn't about "stealing" users
or datas from popular sites.

I don't run any community website anyway, and don't plan to.

> a few beefs i have with this:
>
> - who would be the "ML"? who would volunteer to be available *and* learn
> about all the ins and outs of the membership system (be it a RDBMS or LDAP
> or whatever) and the code that "talks" to the repository and the code that
> accepts and transforms the "shared credentials"?
>
> - more sites == better support is, IMHO, not correct. more sites does not
> automatically mean more people who actually have a clue about this
> particular membership system beyond "i plopped this client code onto my
> server to participate in the membership thingy". who among those
> webmasters really knows about e.g. LDAP? very very few i would think.

while I agree that 1+1 may mean only 1, at least it shouldn't mean 0,
and I'm sure that a mathematician could
prove that 1+1+1+...+1 will statistically tend to be > 1 :-)

If there were only free riders then Free Software woudln't exist in the
first place. The bigger the number of free riders, the bigger the
chance to get one with a clue, who finally gives something back.

replace "this client code" with "Zope" in the above
sentence, and now compare the number of Zope products now with the
same number three years ago => bigger isn't it ?

> don't get me wrong, i am not attacking the idea. the idea is intriguing. i
> just think it would need *much* more fleshing-out than the current "wouldn'
> t it be cool if..." stage. :)

at least the idea is archived now

bye,

Jerome Alet