[Zope] a modified shopping cart in dtml

Chris McDonough chrism@zope.com
Tue, 30 Jul 2002 08:02:57 -0400

Jason Trost wrote:
> return container.index_dtml(context).
>
> I was missing context for the longest time and the dtml couldn't find
> any variables.  Is this the right way to do it?

You might be better off with return container.index_html(context,
context.REQUEST).

> How do I retrieve a session variable in the command <dtml-var
> something.something>?

<dtml-if "REQUEST.SESSION.has_key('something')">
   <dtml-var "REQUEST.SESSION['something']">
</dtml-if>

> How do I retrieve a session variable from the name space so that I can
> plug it into a SQL command in the index_html document itself after the
> form returns?  I tried to do it through python but it returned a pointer
> to that object.  It came from the example in the Zope Book.

In a Python script:

something = REQUEST.SESSION.get('something')
return something

In DTML:

<dtml-call "REQUEST.set('something', REQUEST.SESSION.get('something'))">

(Then refer to 'something' via <dtml-var something>)

> I tried to model most of this after the shopping cart example but I
> didn't like the syntax of page templates.  Is dtml generally better than
> pages in templates?  Or vice versa?  WYSIWYG editing isn't important to
> me some I'm learning towards dmtl.

That's fine, either will work..

> Here's a last random question:
>
> Is the login for Zope management interface encrypted?  Do I need to
> install the SSL work around through Apache to secure that?

It's not encrypted, you do need to use SSL..