[Zope] Which for small table: ZODB, TinyTable, Gadfly, MySQL?

Joel Burton joel@joelburton.com
Wed, 31 Jul 2002 16:20:00 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 31 Jul 2002, David Elfstrom wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've got a static table of 60 rows consisting of:
>       firstname, lastname, department, email, telephone
> and I'd like to display this list in a table that can be sorted by clicking
> on the column headings.
>
> Considering the size, what would be the 'best practices' way of doing this?
> a) creating objects and searching through ZODB,
> b) TinyTablePlus product
> c) Gadfly database
> d) MySQL database (seems like overkill)
> e) something else??

If people will click on a name and go to more information about that
person (a picture, full description, whatever), you'd probably want to
create the people as custom objects, and have the list be displayed by
a ZCatalog query over these objects.

To just present a list, I'd use TinyTable. It does not scale well for
anything even medium-sized, but it's a snap to install and you'll get its
editing views and simple querying for free. With Gadfly or MySQL, you'd
have to write the insert,update,delete views (tho' there are some Products
that can generate these for you.)

Beehive's MetaPublisher might also be a good solution, especially if you
want to store more information about the person (like an image or
description or such)

HTH.
--

Joel BURTON  |  joel@joelburton.com  |  joelburton.com  |  aim: wjoelburton
Independent Knowledge Management Consultant