[Zope] compacting growing database

Dieter Maurer dieter@handshake.de
Wed, 31 Jul 2002 23:25:34 +0200

Courtland Idstrom writes:
 > I'm managing a Zope installation where my documents are imported from a
 > script I wrote. Every time I run the script and it updates the documents,
 > the database gets larger and larger, which I understand. Unfortunately,
 > when I go to compact the database, it actually expands by about 5 Mb. I'm
 > using
Very strange!

   Zope calls compacting "packing". You are sure, you "pack" the
   database?

   Does packing succeed without any error indication (exception)?
   Do you see a "Data.fs.old"?

 > Zope Version
 > (Zope 2.5.1 (source release, python 2.1, linux2), python 2.1.1, linux2)
 >
 > Python Version
 > 2.1.1 (#1, Jun 10 2002, 11:11:21) [GCC 3.1]
You should upgrade to 2.1.3! (Although it is probably not responsible
for *this* problem (but may cause very nasty others))

Dieter